Poem prompt: Have some high fun with haibun! Haibun
is a written composition that combines prose with haiku. Its range is broad. The
prose is usually very descriptive and can describe a journey, landscape, diary-entry,
special moment, short story, biography, etc. The haiku that follows the prose
is related in some way to the content, whether direct or oblique, and often it
boils down a theme or an emotion from the prose. I like this form very much
because it can be narrow or broad, intensely personal or intentionally surreal
and dreamlike, clear and straightforward or meandering. The haiku at the end
seems to be both a punctuation mark of sorts as well as expansive thought…
tree
From the moment she stepped back from the skinny, bending-sideways
pin oak nineteen years ago, she felt a sense of protectiveness over the tree,
as if from beside it or beneath it, or even from inside the house looking at it
through the glass, she could send it her love and protection. She remembers the
big blow down three years later, in the middle of July, when winds had rendered it nearly horizontal. Lear-like she ran from the house in
her bathrobe through the gusting, pelting rain, and the thunder and the lightning,
to pull the thin trunk vertical and re-stake the ropes. She patted the soil and
said a prayer through her tears, please survive this, tree. She remembers the
summer when the tree was large enough to sit under in a reclining lawn chair,
with a book and the breeze, long branches finally providing a large circle of
shade. Another day, a hawk dove into the leafy fullness and snatched a
baby bird from its nest, leaving the mother bird to cry out the rest of that
afternoon. Other than a few events, this tree is mostly a steady presence and a symbol of strength and grace. Through every season, sleet, hail, and
snow, and through every ray of warm, golden sunshine, its leaves cycle. From feathery buds of fresh green in May to crisp-strong browns of December,
not dropping its leaves until the spring. Its colors range from light green to
dark, from mottled red and orange to bright red to brown, and then back again.
Day to day, its changes are nearly imperceptible. With equanimity, it stands
through each cycle of the seasons.
the oak
has a life of its own now
yet it keeps her here
Copyright ©
2011 Nan P.
* This is still a draft. The prose section is longer than I would like it to be, and after one paring down of about 200 words already, I need more time to decide where to trim.
**Just after I posted this, I read Margo Roby's blog, and laughed to find that yesterday she posted a poetry prompt with a brilliant explanation of haibun. Just to prove that kizmet is alive and well, please visit her post for a great explanation that discusses the importance of the elliptical in haibun.
* This is still a draft. The prose section is longer than I would like it to be, and after one paring down of about 200 words already, I need more time to decide where to trim.
**Just after I posted this, I read Margo Roby's blog, and laughed to find that yesterday she posted a poetry prompt with a brilliant explanation of haibun. Just to prove that kizmet is alive and well, please visit her post for a great explanation that discusses the importance of the elliptical in haibun.
10 comments:
I like the tone of equanimity, like the steady presence of the tree. The haiku part also sums it up nicely, "it keeps her here". Trees are a wonderful presence indeed. I like the haibun's hybrid form, and it's a fantastic prompt to have. Will be looking forward to that.
I like this. The summing-up adds just enough.
thanks for the reminder of the form.
(haiku, on their own, don't work for me. I'm one of those people who feel compelled to explain things. the couple of times I've tried haibun, though, have felt right)
haibun - this came up in a prompt somewhere else...it was fun then, and this one is fun too!
Hurrah for the trees
Without them we would be lost -
strong when we need them
I love your haibun and also your tree.
Lovely indeed, nan. I also love the fact, that you suggested this at the same time as Margo's prompt. Serendipity.
Pamela
Reminds of Basho's journey pieces... I like this much. Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to when the prompt comes around on WWP.
Beautiful Haibun. I love this form. Great idea for a prompt..
stolen moments
This is wonderful. I love the story of the true and then the leap in the haiku -- "yet it keeps her here"
Just perfect.
Excellent nan! I like your prompt suggestion very much (not much fan of many forms), but this is a wonderful opportunity. I think, suspect, many enough of us writing poems have that urge from time to time, just to break loose in prose. This prompt will provide good chance to scratch that itch! I look forward to using your idea. (And thanks and generous of you too, referencing Margo's site as well.)
Your tree poem I also like, ignites my interest more, and the haiku at the end - wonderful.
Big thanks! neil
Well, a second thanks. This idea seemed just too good to wait. So I didn't. And wanted to say thanks again. It was fun, even if just playing around. I look forward to seeing the responses when we go live on this prompt (although since Margo just did one, we'll wait a little while). My play if you wanna see, is...
http://bearlyaudible.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/blind-haibun-joe-number-one/
thanks, neil
Post a Comment