en·nui [ahn-wee, ahn-wee; Fr. ahn-nwee](noun) a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.
This cartoon sums it up for me lately. (Thanks to Angela for sharing this via Facebook.) I think this weird winter has gotten to me. Perhaps I just have spring fever. And my cats do too. I cracked a window today so I could hear the lovely birdies out my window while I work from home today, and Mars the cat squeezed himself uncomfortably through the opening to sandwich himself between the glass and the screen. This, after Natalie the cat was found howling out the closed living room window at 5 a.m. at the possible presence of some critter on the other side of the glass in the dark.
I suppose that is what I have been doing lately too -- glimpsing the fresh air and sunshine on the other side of this wintertime, and trying to find ways to squeeze myself, even if uncomfortably, closer to it -- not quite getting there just yet. The snow from the weekend is melted again, and we seem to be going back, forth, back, forth, with cold and snow and then oddly, early spring weather. We rarely see what we are seeing until April around these parts.
My poetry mojo is in some lost and found. Meanwhile, I am reading a great book called The Dirty Life, by Kristin Kimball (who hails from my home town -- and who went to high school with my brother and has found New York Times Bestseller fame for a good reason!) My interest is also piqued with a new television series (BBC, of course) called Sherlock. It's on Netflix. Highly recommend! [Started watching an old (1986) critically acclaimed series called The Singing Detective, but the first two episodes were very depressing, so I am not sure when I'll get back to it to give it another go. Tom actually purchased the DVD set on recommendation, because the original production is not on Netflix. I can kind of see why. It is brilliant, but as uncomfortable as a third degree burn.]
Matt continues to recoup from his shoulder fracture. It is awfully hard to see your always active child relegated to playing Words With Friends, Hanging With Friends, and Scramble on his iPod Touch. He has three weeks down and three weeks to go in his sling ... no exercise... and he is still sleeping in a recliner in his room. Poor kid. Add adolescence to that situation and you have one iteration of misery.
So, rant, rant, that is all I've got for you today, readers. I am sure WJPP will play you a song soon.

2 comments:
Very cool--spring fever in March is a strange thing--usually a month where the mean reds fight with the blue monster for me. Glad to see some bulbs blooming.
I always stuffed that term in with the Romantics and Regency era, but I laughed at loud at how appropriately your cartoon nailed it. I would be so rich with a dollar for every "I'm bored" issued in my home.
Post a Comment