Saturday, March 7, 2009

is it really spring?


sunlight in the tree
red finches at the feeder--
the days get longer


After below-zero temps at the beginning of the week, we saw some thaw yesterday, and it looks like we may see low 50 degree temperatures later today. The snow is nearly gone, and with the bright sun on the deck, I ventured out to snap this photo of my favorite tree this morning. (Notice that last season's pin oak leaves hang on stubbornly still through March.) It felt warm outside to me, but it turns out it was only 30 degrees. Funny how that seems balmy after the deep freeze we have had to endure.

Another beacon of spring is the sound of the birds chirping in the morning! I have missed those happy sounds. We even heard the "crazy geese" passing overhead early this morning. They are so loud, but it was an incredibly welcome sound. It sure beats the sound of the plow scraping by. I do know we'll have a bit more of winter before spring truly arrives, but having a day or two like this as a signal to hope is a very good thing. We'll set the clocks forward tonight, and won't it be a good thing to have that extra daylight at the end of the day?

Matt has a travel basketball game this afternoon, so my plan before then is to get some laundry done, pull together tax documents, and perhaps even get some homework done. I am very happy to have the weekend finally here. For a few reasons, it was a very long week. I've looked forward to this moment: drinking a good cup of coffee, tapping out a blog post, reading my favorite blogs, and getting to the work of the home for a few hours before being with our community of basketball parents while we watch our kids do their thing. Life is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your yard is free of snow and that must make you feel good.
Today your blog talks of routine things and I wonder if you know how much you are part of my routine. I look forward to your blog everyday and when there is nothing new I feel like MY routine is off!!! Such a burden on you, huh! Now I can go about my day.
Hope Matt has a good game and enjoys himself.
I'll check later and see if there might be a "bonus blog" today!!

Anonymous said...

Saw a fat sparrow on the deck this morning. My wife had called me over to the window - we could see it yapping away but with the windows sealed against winter, we couldn't hear it. I quietly opened the back door to let the song in. Sweetest sounds I've heard in months. The feeders are still full from when we refilled them back in November or so. Looking forward to seeing the crowds again... :)
- J.

nan said...

Jean, I'll do my best to post again today. What a nice comment!

Jeff, I think the birds sound so much sweeter at the beginning of the season after their winter's absence. I look forward to being able to hear the direct sounds through screens on open windows, rather than the muted chirping through the window glass.