Friday, May 22, 2009

spring happenings

pin oak's new green
sprouting and fluffing forth--
inciting summer

Memorial Day Weekend marks the end of spring and the beginning of summer. We have taken the cover off the pool and are adding the water to get warmed up in the sun and ready for summer swimming. I am off to the little mom & pop gardening business later today to pick up some petunias, geraniums, vinca vines, dusty miller, and some tomato plants for the barrel. I love this weekend. It signals that we will spend more time outdoors than indoors, finally.



The signs that spring is passing on through are everywhere. From the great spring concert we enjoyed at Matthew's school last evening to the leaves on the pin oak popping out. We are heading into summer. (Now that Matthew plays alto sax, he sits in the rear rows, so I have a harder time getting a good photo.)

Twenty years ago this afternoon (the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend), Tom and I "tied the knot," as they say. While our anniversary is technically not until Tuesday, I tend to remember it as the day within the weekend. It was a very rainy day, although the sun did shine through the stained glass windows of the church as we were saying our vows. If I can find our wedding album, I will try to scan a photo from the day to post on Tuesday. Our photographer didn't turn out to be the best, but the photos still do spark fun memories.The snap shots turned out to be much better than the posed photos -- which is not uncommon when the photographer is not that skilled. I can't remember, but I think the mass began at 5 p.m., and the reception followed immediately at a restaurant/banquet hall nearby. It was a fun celebration, with good music and dancing and food.

Have a nice weekend, yourself!

3 comments:

angela said...

Happy anniversary!

I'm excited to get into summer too. It's as if the land all around has put on a brand-new set of clothes!

Pam said...

Happy Anniversary! 20 years! Wow! Not many people can say that these days. Good for you!

Jean Liv said...

My only correction would be the last sentence to read "great music, dancing and food"! Maybe I'll grab the video and watch it this weekend. It was such a fun time and our family finally got someone with class!!!:>