So, you may be wondering . . . what happened with the final championship Little League game on Saturday afternoon? Well, as in all storybook endings, the team won it all, and the coach got a Mohawk. Right there, in the dugout, after the game. (Matt almost did too - in all the excitement. Then he saw my pleading look that said, "nooooooo," and he stepped out of the dugout and away from the mad-shears.)It was an exciting game. I was asked to count pitches, and because of some league rules, what that meant was that I had to sit with the pitch counter for the other team to check for agreement. I had not had to do this all season, and so I was certainly willing to do it - but disappointed that I ended up sitting with the other team's fans. I had forgotten my camera anyway, so it isn't as if that is the reason why I have no action photos here. (One of the other mom's took some great ones, and I hope to add them to this post when she e-mails them to me.) The photo I have added is the official photo taken at the beginning of the season, before Matt's haircut.
Matthew played 3rd base for 5 of 6 innings and catcher for the last inning. On his first at-bat, first pitch, he hit a ball into the outfield [correction: over the left fielder's head], and got a nice double! He went on to score, and his run was one of the ones that helped to win the game. He had some very good fielding, and all in all, we were very proud of his effort. I am also secretly glad we will have a break from baseball for a while. He was selected to a travel team, but his arm has been hurting on and off this season, and we decided (with his blessing) that a hiatus from baseball is in order.
6 comments:
So glad he held off on the mohawk. Very difficult to sport that for the summer--well, maybe with lots of gel. It would be difficult to count and cheer and try to remain cool...too bad you couldn't have passed that on. Congratulations to Matt and the team!
Oh yea, Matt!! What a great way to start the summer on such a high note! And what a good sport the coach is. How funny! Ayden got a buzz cut for the summer and he looks cute. Very different for him but a good summer cut. Hope the arm gets a good rest....it must be growing! (All aches and pains are considered to be this at his point in life, right?)
Way to go, Matt!
Fan-tastic! A champion - and championship team - gets it done!
And you're worried about a Mohawk? Wait until he starts talking about tatoos... :)
- J.
Actually the hit was over the left fielder's head, which is important because he is a right handed batter and that means he was able to get around on a fastball and pull it, a good sign if he's going to keep playing the game.
Jeff, you know, I have had a number of people laugh at me because I was worried about the Mohawk. The majority seems to feel I should have let him do it - because it is summer and it will grow out and there are worse things. Still, I couldn't help but cringe, and I actually think Matt is kind of vain about his hair - so on some level, I don't think he wanted to do it afterall -- just got caught up in the moment.
Thanks to "Yogi," who was at the game, I realize that I was thinking of another hit, and the double indeed was a hit over the left fielder's head. So much for my memory! I have made the corrections.
Post a Comment