Thankfully Matthew is improving day by day, and so far Tom and I seem to be fine -- if not finding that our hands are getting a little raw from the constant hand washing. Matt is still running a low-grade temp and the cough is still present, but the other symptoms seem to be improving relatively quickly. As the doctor predicted, the media hype has many people very scared of this flu, but for most people who are ordinarily healthy, this virus will present with relatively minor symptoms once the high fever subsides. It isn't anything to monkey around with, but it also isn't something to be insanely scared of either. I am sure I'd feel differently if my child was quite young or had a compromised immune system. I am grateful that Matthew is such a strong and healthy guy. He will bounce back from this faster than most, I am guessing.It is a very busy work week for me, unfortunately. I feel like I am getting worn out on the home and work fronts these days. Tom was able to stay home with Matt today and will be able to most of tomorrow (with a quick hour or so when we'll have to trade places), and we'll juggle Wednesday if our guy isn't ready to go back to school by then. There are distinct disadvantages to living apart from the rest of extended family who might be able to help in situations like this. We are lucky at least that both of us work in the same town in which we live and do not have to commute.
I can tell Matt is sick of being sick already, and that is one of the sure signs of improvement. He doesn't want to wear his mask anymore, and I can't say I blame him, but with any luck we can limit the exposure that Tom and I have to this virus so that we can get the vaccine and be protected from coming down with it also.
Speaking of being sick of being sick . . . related to the "sick bay update" on an extremely positive note: my friend Beth has finished her last chemo treatment as of this afternoon. She was diagnosed with two types of cancer six months ago, went through a regimen of radiation, and has been going through a very rough run of six chemo treatments (amidst some serious infections and side effect that have delayed her finish.) She has had numerous hospitalizations and set backs and it has been a very trying time. Even though the week ahead, post treatment, will surely not be fun, she did it. Within a month, we will be praying she has a clear scan with no cancer cells to be found. This is the highlight of the day! Congratulations to you, Beth! (And to you too, Cheryl - who happens to have dabbled in the H1N1 just a few weeks ago
3 comments:
Very happy to hear the good news regarding recovery. Keep us posted. I guess it feels draining to have a sick child and full work schedule. Someday someone will put a better plan in place for us moms. There's waaaay too much stress out there now.
I'm very happy to hear about your friend,Beth. She must feel cautiously optimistic. I'll say a prayer for her tonight that her mind (and body) will feel ease and peace.
You and Tom....stay healthy!
Good news all around except that you two are overworked! Dream of Belize, or that favorite mountain lake...(or not, if that makes reality too hard!)
Thanks Nan!! (From Beth and Cheryl)
And thanks to you Jean! :-)
Post a Comment