About six months ago, my friend Beth was diagnosed with two kinds of cancer -- one of which is pretty hard to diagnose early. It was quite fortunate that it was found early -- and that may have only been discovered because of the other cancer. Surgery, complications, and very rigorous treatment ensued -- with radiation and chemo. Beth had her last treatment just before Thanksgiving and had her scan on Monday to see if she was cancer free. She thought she'd have to wait a week to get the news on whether the treatment regimen had worked. Today, however, just two days after the scan, I got an e-mail. This is what it said:
Hi everyone!
My oncologist just called with my CT scan results from yesterday. I have an appt with her on Monday, but she didn't want me to wait to hear the news. I'm cancer free!!!!
beth
It took a moment for me to process the news. And then I started to cry a little. It was what we all hoped for, and it made me realize that with all the havoc that the treatment wreaked on Beth(and Cheryl) and her body . . . it also wreaked the heck out of the cancer. This news was the highlight of my day.
I know some of the readers on this blog have been keeping Beth in thoughts and prayers, and I knew you would want to have this very special update. Beth still has some healing to do, but one of my holiday wishes has come true. CANCER FREE! Music to the ears! I hereby add Beth to the list of my friends who are SURVIVORS!!! (Or as Jeff would say, the Warriors!)
4 comments:
How wonderful to be able to share the ultimate good news. Thanks.
I can't think of better news for a friend or from a friend! Happy for all.
That IS great news!
Wonderful news, Nan. Cancer is such a frightening disease - but it can be beaten!
Please give my best to Beth and my wishes for continued health and clean scans!
- Jeff
Post a Comment