It was a really busy weekend, what with an all-star team scrimmage and lots of errands on Saturday and a family birthday party for Matt yesterday with a gang of 15 of us in anticipation of the big day this coming week. I'll have photos and a catch up post soon. However the big news is that Matthew hit his first ever out-of-the-park home run on Saturday. His team was scrimmaging an older boys' team and they were losing 8-0. As his coach said, "that's the way to break up a shut out!" He was so happy when he realized it went over the left field fence! As he rounded the bases, his teammates all joined him at third and ran behind him to home. I have never seen such a celebration at the Little League plate! Matt, who tries to hide his emotions as he enters this wonderful thing called adolescence, broke out a huge grin. I wish I had my camera! It was a sight. He had been struggling at the plate recently during games, so this was much a much needed confidence shot. What was a nice bonus is that he hit it with all the all-stars from our area who are a year older watching, and he knows all those guys. After the game, which Matt's team did end up losing, he got several nice pats on the back from the opposing/ other home players too.
5 comments:
This is labeled "everyday" but it sure made Matt's day special! I'm happy for him and glad he enjoys sports so much. Has the All Star tournament finished or not begun? My guess is that this home run is just a foreshadowing of things to come!
Way to go Matt! Was the new bat a charm?
It was a very special "every day" Jean! :-)
Paula, yes, the new bat is definitely a charm! Thanks, Ohio!
Way to go, Matt!! What a great "gift" to himself!
Nan.. That's awesome! I'm so proud of him... the first of many home runs.. I'm sure :) the first homerun is always one that he'll remember!
Post a Comment