Friday, January 21, 2011

how to avoid vertigo with a low sodium diet

The prompt over at Big Tent Poetry involved thinking about foods that interest us, and write a "how to" poem -- how to eat, how to cook, how to grow that food. "Your food memories, your senses, your love of words, even your local market can provide you with the ingredients. All you need to do is cook up a poem!" Here is a weird little ditty that came to me earlier this week. I never did get back to change it.




How to avoid vertigo with a low sodium diet

salt isn't a devil,
but you know it won't help.
in fact it exacerbates
as far as we can tell.

a low sodium diet
is what we recommend
to keep the world from
spinning all around your head.

it will keep the sounds down
from inside your ears,
and you'll walk steady and strong
with any luck, for years.

choose the herbs and the lemon juice
and avoid all the processed;
pick the fruits and the veggies
and don't forget dark chocolate.

you'll miss capers and smoked fish
and sushi and breads,
but it sure beats vertigo and
wishing you were dead.

Copyright © 2011 Nan P.

11 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Wow- I can SO relate... excellent poem! Do you have this problem? I've had vertigo since I was a child. A few years ago I finally had some horrible testing done and the doctor said it was actually vertigo-associated migraines. I followed his advice and, knocking on wood, I haven't had a problem since.

~Laurie

Anonymous said...

I believe the science, but still find the no-salt regime bland, despite using all the herbs and spices!

Jean Liv said...

I especially embrace the dark chocolate part, although milk chocolate is more my style!!!

flaubert said...

nan, dark chocolate, yum! Wonderful poem.

nan said...

Laurie, I sympathize. I occasionally have some bouts with Meniere's-related vertigo, but since making a few changes . . . rare! Viv, definitely not "NO Salt." I love the stuff. But limiting sodium has actually helped me gain a greater appreciation for flavor and fresh foods, whole grains. Trust me, it is an easy choice once you've been where I've been. Jean and Flaubert, I don't know what I would do if I were told I had to limit my chocolate intake. I would be so sad.

Tumblewords: said...

Nifty take on the prompt and salt intake.

Linda said...

Oh my I love milk chocolate. Thoughtful, instructive, and fun. We don't cook with any salt and gave discovered incredibly flavorful and full bodied herbs. Salt disguises food.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who just had to go through this! I'll have to share your poem with her...and yessss, dark chocolate, Yum!

Anonymous said...

oh, the sacrifices!

Mad Kane said...

I enjoyed your versified advice.

Deb said...

The culinary loss, and ache!