Friday, January 7, 2011

in balance with strength and with grace

The Big Tent Poetry prompt for this week was to write a poem about feet. "Write about your own two feet. . . . Write about inches and feet. Write about something with feet (like a chair or a centipede). Maybe you’ll get clever and write in meter (“feet” as units of rhythm)."


in balance with strength and with grace


bearing the weight of each day
these feet have walked miles and miles
up mountains and stairwells
and pathways and hallways
through moments in time.

some days have been light
as I waded on balls of my feet
through the cave river floors,
using arms to swim-guide me
through the moving currents.

some days have been heavy
as heels seemed to drag flat
against concrete floors of
hospitals and through doorways
of sadness or grief.

some days have been still
as my feet bore no weight
from their horizontal place
on my sick bed -- no movement
to be found save for breathing.

some days are whooshing
and joyful as I ski down the slopes
and glide and push on the snow
to move forward in
sheer exhilaration of spirit.

some days seem near weightless
as I snorkel on sea's surface
and gently kick the flippers from
my toes to propel me around
and around as I breathe from the sky.

most days I am happy to keep moving
and never stand still on these feet
that can hold me and keep me upright
or quiet but in balance with
strength and with grace.


Copyright © 2011 Nan P.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I did enjoy reading your poem: I have had so many of the same experiences, and you describe them so accurately and beautifully.

none said...

You have contained so much variety of experiences in life through the image of feet! I especially like how you described the actual weight of how feet feel depending on the situation. It is so gracefully and precisely done.

Laurie Kolp said...

I agree with Viv and Jade! Thanks for the lovely adventure... what would we do without our feet?

Anonymous said...

I love this poem! I just visited my 92 year old grandma who was just put into a nursing home..and even though I was smiling for her, I'm pretty sure my heavy feet gave me away. I like the way you described that feeling.

flaubert said...

nan, I can relate to your experiences here. What would we do without our feet. You did the prompt justice.
Pamela

Linda said...

I like the positive attitude of the narrator--no matterwhete her feet take her she always lands on her feet.

James said...

I like the way you present life's ups and downs as steps on a journey. Nice work sustaining the metaphor. I really liked the image of the speaker snorkeling and and breathing from the sky. What a vivid choice of words, there!

Anonymous said...

I like the way the feet are the barometer for the emotions.

Brenda Clews said...

I enjoyed this ode to feet, beautiful feet, and took every step with you through the stanzas. A whole life contained in the movements of the feet, yes, I, too, alluded to this in my little piece. And of course I love the photos of your feet-especially on the shore, with ocean foam -they look so blissful!

gautami tripathy said...

I liked this so very much!


I write notes here...

mareymercy said...

very meditative and peaceful.

Tumblewords: said...

I can feel the sand moving in and out under my feet - your photos are wonderful and the words stellar.

Susan Moorhead said...

My size tens (!) really like this poem (and so do I).