Friday, January 14, 2011

nasturtium

The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week was fun. This is what I came up with after making an alliterative list, letting it sit for a day or two, picking one word on it, and then writing a poem. It needs some more development, but for now --








nasturtium

it was hard for her to say . . .

would she rather preserve
the beautiful, colorful blossoms
proliferating and bright --
reaching toward sunlight
with shiny, tissue-paper, veined petals
thriving with a modicum of neglect in poor soil?

or

would she rather consume
its deliciousness
in a salad or cucumber sandwich
with sweet, spicy, peppery taste
on the palate,
bringing a twist of the nose?

it was hard for her to say.
nasturtium:
abundant, edible dramatics with
shades of nectarine
and water lily-like leaves
and tangy, delicate, crunchiness.


Copyright © 2011 Nan P.

15 comments:

nan said...

I chose "n" to generate my list. Words included: nettle, nip, neck, knuckle, no, nothing, nubile, narcissist, nuance, nullify, nickel, never, knowing, natural, nit pick, north, nylon, nasturtium, necco wafer, nectar, nectarine, and navy. Nasturtium really is hard for me to say. And I have trouble with decisions too :-)

RJ Clarken said...

Great poem! And since I love nasturtiums, I say preserve the flower and eat something else. ;D

Laurie Kolp said...

Quite a quandary... beautifully posed! Great pic, too!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I know this feeling. I'm always perplexed as to why it can take me so long to make a simple decision!

mareymercy said...

Always like the word "palate" as well. Looks so much like "plate" I often mis-read it as such.

JEan Liv said...

That was fun!

Anonymous said...

Given the abundant generosity of a single nasturtium plant, I think you can safely eat some and look at others. Once you have them in your garden, they are there for ever.

flaubert said...

Nan, a beautiful poem and I love the images of eating the flower.
Pamela

Jacqueline Howett said...

Orange is my favorite color. To capture a thought was good.

I agree with vivinfrance, and with that said, I liked the words, proliferating and bright --

Tumblewords: said...

A delicate decision, to be sure. I can relate to your words and the lovely blossom as well.

mark said...

Great use of the prompt. Really enjoyed this.

Linda said...

This is great fun and such a perplexing quandary —to eat or enjoy its visual beauty. I like where you went with this poem.

Rallentanda said...

Just gorgeous. Scrumptious words
describing one of my favourite flowers.

Deb said...

This is a wonderful poem! I love the details of the flower, the illustration of the daily choices we make for some many other things. So many.

Deb said...

PS - love your list!