Monday, January 17, 2011

pasta in the rough

Recently I had the pleasure of enjoying another one of Arlette's feasts. The main dish she prepared was a recipe from The Minimalist food writer Mark Bittman, called Fazzoletti, or "handkerchief pasta." Arlette served this delectable pasta with a pesto she made from her garden-grown basil. The accompanying vegetable medley included sauteed brussel sprouts and fennel, other vegetables, and toasted walnuts. The veggies had a wonderful, black peppery flavor. We finished the meal with homemade bread and a classic salad by Arlette with wonderful, fresh greens and a lemon and EVOO dressing. Dessert was a cranberry tart (and a little bit of chocolate).

How do I get so lucky to have a friend who can cook like this? I really don't know. I was so "in the moment" enjoying this meal that I didn't take photographs as I have sometimes done in the past. This photo is from the linked New York Times The Minimalist column on Bittman's recipe, and Arlette's looked just as good!

I heard an interview with Bittman on NPR this past fall, and was so impressed by his message. He encourages people to eat vegetarian for two of three meals per day. This alone would do more to decrease global warming than if people gave up their gas-hog SUVs! He has this to say about food:

" . . . while food is a necessity that we all share for survival, it's also a cultural bellwether. Taking control of our food - knowing where it comes from, selecting it and cooking it ourselves - makes us more thoughtful. Sitting down to a meal and eating with those we care about instead of standing over the sink with a bowl of cereal is an act of engagement rather than one of isolation. The way we interact with food says a lot about how we want to live our lives, and a move toward wholesome food and away from Pop Tarts and fish sticks can only portend good things."

1 comment:

Susan Moorhead said...

Yum. You are a lucky duck :)