Friday, February 18, 2011

giddyup modern art

The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week was to think of a title for a not-yet-published manuscript of our work that we may (or may not) have in mind, and then write the title poem. This is a title I have had in mind for a short story for some time, and I decided to give a poem a whirl.

giddyup modern art

if I had a manuscript
I would call it
giddyup modern art.

it's what I heard
the little girl say
to the metal sculpture.

she had asked what it was -
and to her it was a horse
even if it was a waterfall.

and I think that my poems
can be a river for me, and to you
they might be tree leaves . . .

blowing in the wind.


Copyright © 2011 Nan P.



Process notes: "Giddyup Modern Art," comes from some reality and some imagination. About 20 years ago, I overheard a child ask his father about the metal sculpture in front of my then office building. The father replied, "I think it is a horse." He did not go on to explain what modern art was. In my imagination, I became a little girl asking my parent about the sculpture, and my parent went on to explain modern art in great detail. At the absurdity of that thought, I decided that the little girl might say, giddyup modern art, to the sculpture at the end of that mini-lecture. I have always liked the line, and haven't ever forgotten it. This poem is my little take on radical desconstructionism.

10 comments:

flaubert said...

nan, I love the title and the poem.
Thanks for the process notes.
The perception of modern art is
varied from viewer to viewer.

Pamela

mareymercy said...

That's great! I love a poem that can also tell me a story I find interesting.

Laurie Kolp said...

I love it...I especially like the ending.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I like the title and the poem.

Dick said...

A very neat statement on the subjective/objective in art: what the artist transmitted and what the consumer received.

Anonymous said...

The story is so cute and simple, but the point it makes so true!

vivinfrance said...

I really enjoyed this poem and also the process notes, separately and together. I could really picture the scene and the enquiring small girl.

Tumblewords: said...

How true - a wonderful name for your poetry book - it offers a magical image.

Cathy said...

and I think that my poems
can be a river for me, and to you
they might be tree leaves . . .

blowing in the wind.


Perfectly put!

DJ Vorreyer said...

Love the title - and the poem is great, too. Makes me want to go listen to a great song by Art Brut called "Modern Art" which includes the line "Modern art makes me want to rock out..." :)