Friday, February 25, 2011

inside-out day

In thinking about how not everyone celebrates the same holidays, or even appreciates the same traditions or celebrations or holidays, the prompt over at Big Tent Poetry was to create a festival, holiday or annual celebration, or to write the anti- of any of them — real or imagined — as a poem.

Since I could really use a holiday -- just to rest, read, and write poetry -- I decided to think about holiday in the "vacation" sense of the word. Then I got to thinking how if every day was a holiday, we might not appreciate it. (Although I would really like to test this out!) Then I decided to twist my own thought process and turn it inside out. And I arrived at the following poem, albeit rough and needing some tweaking . . .


inside-out day

the seams are facing out
in every possible place
we're racing and fasting
and there's no smile on my face

we go to work today
for a change from our leisure
the alarm clock's chime is sweet
wish we had this daily pressure

there'll be no salty breezes
nor lakeside sunny naps
no reading or relaxation
and definitely no snacks

seems we only appreciate stress
because it is so very foreign
can't wait til next year
to ring in this obligation



the fabric always seems finer on the inside-out


Copyright © 2011 Nan P.

11 comments:

vivinfrance said...

This took my breath away with it's lateral thinking. As a fully-occupied retired old bat, I have no need for holidays, nor yet for inside out holidays. Your poem made me chuckle!

flaubert said...

nan, I like your take on the prompt.

Pamela

Unknown said...

Well that's a change of pace! Nice take, well written.

Linda said...

An upside down look at work—works. Now I must write some critiques and a new assignment. Ah—I think I shall take your poem's route and head to the coffee house for lunch and a latte.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I really enjoyed the way you turned it inside out! I might have to try that approach with a few things this week!

Tumblewords: said...

Inside out - a perceptive take!

Dick said...

I do like the notion of an inside-out day. Enforced revelation of what lurks at the interior!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Very inventive! I enjoyed that.

Deb said...

I like this idea A LOT! *smile*

Kelly E said...

Very creative. Really liked this, especially the idea of ringing in an obligation. It's all in the perspective, isn't it?

Laurie Kolp said...

What a fun day. Reminds me of when I taught second grade. We had "backwards day" the last week of school. They loved it.