The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week is a Wordle. The assignment? Use any number of these words, (from one to all), and write a poem. The words: angle, handle, rotate, remote, blade, grind, function, cabinet, alert, float, darkening, and resistant. These words came from an ad in the Sunday paper. Just for fun, I used them all.kitchen gadgetry
The kitchen is full of wonderful gadgets -
including the under-cabinet, folding-screen 9" TV
that can rotate 180 degrees and has its own tiny remote.
She wanders in, now and then,
to admire the functions of the tools and appliances,
with their handles, blades, and levers.
This one has five coffee-grind settings, and that one
is scratch-resistant. Silicone can be heated and frozen, and
most things are dishwasher-safe.
Occasionally, she sees a label with an alert
stating that the heating element must not
be fully immersed in water.
There must be an angle, then, before full immersion
at which the element may float safely
without the red ring of death darkening around the core.
Copyright © 2011 Nan P.
[Process notes: I couldn't help but be drawn to the world of kitchen gadgets and appliances. The "red ring of death" is a phrase known to those who have children with X-Box game systems. It has become a phrase symbolic of and synonymous with the demise of a beloved appliance.]
16 comments:
You've managed to fuse my fascination at kitchen gadgetry to poetry and the end tension is simply wonderful. A very skilful handling of the wordle.
I want that kitchen! And I like the way she's just wandering in from time to time to admire her kitchen!
Liked what you did with the words..
tears of the sky fall to the ground
nan, I love a nice kitchen!
I like how you created this
scene with the words.
And thanks for the explanation
of "red ring of death"
Pamela
Ah—those warnings on certain items. So much to see in your kitchen—and ponder.
Interesting poem. I wonder if she ever cooked in the kitchen, or just simply gloated at the array!
Love this... especially the ending!
~laurie
Delightful!
Congrats on using all the words of the Wordle - and using them so well! This was brilliant - and such a fun read!
I had no idea what the red ring of death was, but it didn't matter. Love that last stanza, and I want the TV!
I am just delighted with how this week is measuring up. I posted how we are really good poets here and recommended people come for good poetry. I didn't look but trusted you guys to be really good this week. You haven't failed me.
The process notes were helpful, but the red ring of death works so well in that fab last stanza even without notes. I'm loving what folks are doing with these sharp, utilitarian words!
I like your kitchen take on the words. And found the red ring of death information helpful (though not absolutely necessary).
You've used the words seamlessly and to great effect. Nicely done :)
Neatly done.
I've always been bothered by that immersion bit.
What a fascinating approach to these wordle words. I just love looking at new kitchen gadgets. Your poem makes me smile.
Post a Comment