Friday, February 11, 2011

toast

The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week was to think about something that is getting us down, and then write a poem as if a cure for the problem has already happened.

I struggled with this one. A couple things have been getting me down lately, but it seems ungrateful to whine about them. The weather has been severe, but I acknowledge that it is beautiful. I've had a rotten cold, but I am feeling better, and I certainly didn't have anything serious. My job is a giant ball of stress these days, and it certainly saps my creative energies, but I am lucky to have a good job. So what to write about?

I decided to pick something that had me feeling hopeless just a few of weeks ago, and already, we are hopeful as we anticipate the path to recovery. I am overjoyed.

toast

recently, she asked for toast
and just 4 weeks ago
that wouldn't have been
eventful at all

now the request
for crispy, heated slices of bread
gives me cause
to lift my voice in cheer

righteousness is restored
when a hatemonger's bullet can go
through the speech center
of a person's brain

and the voice of a patriot
is regained.


Copyright © 2011 Nan P.


*With this little poem, I am sending out a positive affirmation that with hard work, a full recovery for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is possible.

16 comments:

m. lloyd hedel said...

toast = hope, love it! spring is around the corner, the stress at work is only there 'cause we let it, and chicken soup is great for colds... have it with toast!

Kenia Santos said...

This is so lovely! I raise my glass!

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Take care and keep smiling. =*

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Great message of hope! May that full recovery be within her reach.

Elizabeth said...

Love this toast to a needed and necessary voice recovered.

Elizabeth

flaubert said...

Nan, I love this poem. That amount of hate in this world is astounding. May Gabrielle have a full recovery.

Pamela

Laurie Kolp said...

What a nice tribute... a true source of hope and joy for all!

~laurie

gautami tripathy said...

Hope keeps us going. Let it be...

lined up...

Jean Liv said...

Very nice, Nan. Gave me chills!

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

That was excellent. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Heartwarming.

barbara said...

When I heard that on the news, it was such a warm detail, I couldn't help but smile.

Tumblewords: said...

A simple request, a huge step! Nicely done!

Short poems said...

That was beautiful, Nan. Love it!
All the best
Marinela x

Kelly said...

Righteousness restored - yes! Wonderful poem.

irene said...

Warm and toasty is a breakthrough. Nice way of developing the voice..

Anonymous said...

I like the way you used the contrast between a simple thing like asking for toast and the trauma this person went through to show us the story. So few words, and you told me so much. Thank you.