The Big Tent Poetry prompt this week was to write a science-themed poem. I always did like physics.fundamental forces
gravity
as it turns out
is the weakest
of the four
fundamental forces.
it is the agent that gives
weight to objects and causes them
to fall, when dropped.
aptly labeled,
the strong force
holds the nucleus
together and protects
from strong repulsion;
it has a short range, but
fiercely holds the particles
of physics intact.
electromagnetic force
has infinite range
and manifests as
the exchange force
between the charges
of positive and negative. it is
responsible for nearly every
phenomena found in the fields.
weak force seems like
an oxymoron and it is not
easy to explain.
yet weak interaction
is crucial to the structure
of the universe
because without it we would have
no decay or transmutation.
back to gravity, though.
do you see what gives life
weight?
do you see what will fall
if dropped?
it may be the weakest of the
fundamental forces, but
it is what keeps us standing here.
Copyright © 2011 Nan P.
[image found at particlephysics.ac.uk]
12 comments:
Nan-
You taught me a lot here! I knew all this, once, but have not visited the facts for so long, they have faded. Thanks for the update!
Here's mine:
http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/03/09/you-and-me-scientifically/
I liked how you got around the forces...
dissolved
I love the last stanza.
Nicely written piece, nan.
Pamela
brilliant write.
love your subject.
here is mine:
When Science Becomes Political
Love it. Physics given its due in the form of poetry!
So complicated, I gasp at your erudition, and the clever way you have made it into poetry.
And who says that physics isn't poetry?
So well done! I love how you bring "forces" back to earth for us.
Oh, yes! And where would we be without it - Nicely written!
Interesting poem. Physic was never my strong suit in the science.
Educational and delightful piece!
~laurie
Does that explain the poetry of the universe? Why, I believe it does.
Post a Comment