The dog bite
Some element of the dream was the same every time. She would be walking, and a dog would approach, and she would try not to show her fear, because she knew her fear would be felt by the animal and it would surely bite her. Despite all attempts to stay calm, to appease the malice, she knew it would bite through her hand – and she would wake up with a pounding heart at the moment the powerful incisors would puncture, with the strong jaw clamping down. Another time, riding her bike, the dog would chase her, and catch her, and of course, bite through her hand, pulling and stretching the skin away from her arm as she peddled away, as if it were taffy. That one was a large collie. Other times it was a German shepherd or a Doberman. They were big, vicious dogs. She would wake up, mostly at the moment of the bite, but sometimes just before. The strange thing is, in her waking life, she had never been bitten by a dog, and she really loved friendly dogs. Who could explain more than 30 years of an intermittent, recurring nightmare that seemed to have no basis? She found out, as she neared 40, that her great grandmother had been bitten badly by a dog when she was young. She didn't know if it was a bite through her hand, but she suspects it was. Can fear or memory be retained in the DNA and passed down to a future generation?
Great-grandmother Clorinda
prayed on her rosary beads.
She had seen her share of bad things,
and prayed for a peaceful death.
Copyright © 2011 Nan P.
7 comments:
Hmmm. I tried twice to post this to Big Tent Poetry, but it didn't go through Friday or Saturday mornings. Oh well! I hope it will eventually find its way to that site.
Nightmares are funny things...where do they come from. Your explanation is as good as any...and a fascinating write.
As to the poem....well it had a very comforting feel...and really all any of us an hope for.
Enjoyed it all. Vb
nan, this is wonderful, is the form haibun? Nonetheless, it is great. I had a bad experience here in Mexico with a pack of wild dogs, if my husband weren't with me, well, I am sure the outcome wouldn't have been pleasant.
btw, I see you couldn't post this to big tent's site, are you having problems posting comments to wordpress, also? Because I am and have been all morning, ack!
I hope this posts for you, it is worth the read.
Pamela
Thanks Versebender and Pamela. Verse, I never knew my great-grandmother, but I was told she prayed all the time, and when my mother was a little girl, she asked her what she was praying for, and she said, "a peaceful death." That stayed with me. Pamela, this isn't true haibun - but kind of "haibunesque" I think. A journey in prose followed by a boiled-down haiku (of sorts). Thanks for reading. Yes, I can't seem to post to Wordpress all of a sudden.
Wise to set goals that are achievable, Jade. Enjoyed the haibun...fun form.
Can we carry old fears of others in our dreams? I don't know, but your piece certainly makes that a possibility. The story held me --
An excellent post - Strangely enough, I recently heard a well-known author state that large parts of our fears and 'cultural aspects' are carried in our DNA.
Post a Comment