Sunday, May 8, 2011

all the trees of the field . . .



This is Sufjan Stevens singing the incredibly beautiful, "All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands," off his Seven Swans (2004) album. I love the mesmerizing picking of the banjo, and ethereal overlay of melodic vocals. The lyrics originate with the Bible --Isaiah 55:12. It seems a perfect song for Mother's Day. You may find yourself going back to it to play it again and again.

Speaking of Mother's Day, I awoke this morning to sunshine coming through the slats of the mini blinds, and the song of birds singing outside my windows. I felt a conscious joy humming in my heart. My beautiful child is my gift each and every day, and when he woke up, sleepy, to shuffle over to me to give me my morning hug, I thanked him for being the reason I am a mom and for being in my life. He said "you're welcome." It seems simple, doesn't it? It is simple and profound. Today, I undoubtedly think of Matt's birth mother with love and gratitude, for her courage and unfathomable generosity in making her adoption plan with us. It was destined to be, and yet, happiness and contentment are increased in life when we remember not to take things for granted. I couldn't help but think about how much has changed in these past nearly 13 years. My little guy is now as tall as I am, and yet, I know he will always be my young son.

My guys treated me with a very nice gift that will serve me well! A new ergonomic computer desk chair with a mesh back and seat. It is exactly what I was hoping for! They also managed to throw in a couple of my favorite treats (jalapeƱo kettle chips and a dark chocolove - cherries and almond - candy bar). I am a lucky mom.

Matt had a great Little League baseball game yesterday! He pitched a full game, struck out 14 batters, scored the first run on a base hit double (and a couple of fielding errors), and they won the game 5-2! It was exciting because the opposing pitcher is an excellent pitcher with more experience at that position than Matt, and he happens to be a friend and teammate of Matt's on the school "modified" team (7th and 8th graders). His Little League team improved to 2-2. We are fully into the season with a school team, a Little League team, and a one-month wooden bat tournament team, for which practice and tryouts are happening this morning. We are keeping very busy, but I still enjoy my quiet time blogging at the computer, and spinning the occasional WJPP musical pick.

Have a very nice Sunday. I am sure we are all paying tribute to the special moms in our lives, both those who are still living as well as some now gone. I wish my own mother a very happy day. I talked with her on the phone this morning as I do nearly every day. I feel fortunate indeed to be able to be so connected to her.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Happy Mothers Day, Nan.

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful gift from your family :)

ramona said...

Love this song. Love this post. Simple and profound indeed.