Wednesday, February 8, 2012

mandala poem


playground

turquoise blue sky
and bubble gum spheres of patchwork color
are what she saw from the floor
of the merry-go-round,
spinning

it was dangerous, of course
but she liked nothing better
than to lie on her back
in the center of the posts --
hanging on tightly, eyes wide open,
and letting her mind go
while they pushed the creaking metal
round, round, round

Copyright © 2012 Nan P.

[Process Notes:  I have always been drawn to mandalas... and have posted some of my favorite mandala images on this blog from time to time. Today - for the heck of it - I decided to Google "mandala poetry," and found that there is such a thing. It is a form that has been used, especially with children, to write poems from a visual, circular image. You can draw a mandala with layers of images and patterns and look for the "story" those images create. The poem can be written in whatever form desired.

Instead of drawing my own mandala, I decided to Google image search mandalas and choose one to stare at, and then write a poem. I think I just created a new prompt! It may not be original, but it is new to me. This is the poem I wrote after staring at this mandala.]

Image found here.

5 comments:

booguloo said...

I'm not familiar with mandalas but they seem to be good for a meditation aid.

Ruth said...

I can see where the mandala led you to this poem of riding a merry-go-round... Love the "turquoise blue sky
and bubble gum spheres of patchwork color"

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

love the imagery of her, lying there,
eye open...

vivid imaginations.

Unknown said...

Brought back memories, Nan. I would play on the local merry-go-round until my tummy could no longer contain its contents. Then I'd do it some more!

teri said...

You hopped aboard google and found a prompt worth pursuing. I love the image too!