We Write Poems asked us to write a spiritual poem this week. We get to define what "spirit" means and how the poem might express this. This was a tough one. I spend my life trying to find my idea of spirit in the seemingly ordinary context of human nature and our physical surroundings. As simple an idea as that may be, I found it incredibly difficult to write this. Here is my start. It is also my poem for NaPoWriMo Day #18.
a spiritual
what is spirit?
pay attention
to all things physical --
and ether.
listen for laughter
and hear yourself laugh.
see tears in others’ eyes
and feel the warm salted stream
roll down your own face.
what is spirit?
spirit is throbbing love
and its flip-side, pain.
spirit is flesh
and earth
and wind
and flame
and water.
what is spirit?
dormant and awake,
it is energy, life and love.
the universe pulsates
while the pond is incredibly still.
crickets call. a heron takes flight.
an old man sighs.
the divine is divine
and so is the mundane.
what is spirit?
pay attention.
remember to be
present.
it is lighter than you think.
6 comments:
Now that has certainly set me thinking! Well done.
http://miskmask.wordpress.com
I like what you did with spirit. It is everywhere in everything. It is always present, we just have to look and feel. So very true and well expressed.
in the moment indeed....nicely done and thanks for sharing your words
I have been thinking about this prompt. You did a great job with it. I like "the divine is divine / and so is the mundane". And that last line - just beautiful.
Richard
Amen. Beautiful riff on spirit.
Agree with Richard - love the last line.
Post a Comment