a loneliness poem
in silence
or happy chaos
all alone
or with many,
the lonely vibe
of someone missing
rang through
every moment
for seven long years
until there was you.
Copyright ©
2012 Nan P.
[Process notes: This was written for a prompt at We Write Poems, to write a poem about the feeling of loneliness. My most powerful lonely time took place when everything was seemingly normal and active. You might think this poem is reminiscent of the love
song from The Music Man (later adapted and performed by The Beatles), entitled “Till
There Was You,” … but it is only unintentionally so. When this little poem came
to my mind, I was not thinking of the song. I was thinking of the years before my son’s arrival. I'll admit, when I got to the last line of the poem, I remembered that it was the the title of the famous song. Still, I didn’t want to say it any
other way. ]
6 comments:
Wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't pointed it out.
Funny about small words and small differences. 'Til and Until. The song becomes a line of monosyllables, equally accented. Your line stresses "until" and "you". That one un-accented syllable makes a difference.
darn you. now I've got that song stuck in my head
Things were quieter here until...Son of Son arrived. Different stage for the empty nest to be re-feathered to accommodate our newest little bird-ling. Oh if our walks could talk...the joy of the young voice of innocence. Nice little calming verse.
A beautiful and heartfelt poem. An arrival of a child is such a special gift that one may not at first realize.
I felt emptiness until my son came along and filled it too.
sometimes you can be lonely and not realize you are, or not realize why. Lovely poem.
I can empathise with all of this.
When I think of that song, it is always in the lovely husky tones of Peggy Lee. And now I'm singing it, too!
Post a Comment