face facts
my face, like any other,
is a doorway
to my inner state.
when I am not holding
it in purposeful
mask.
my eyes radiate wonder
when I see beauty
in an unexpected place
and when I feel pain,
eyes brim with tears;
my chin quivers.
my face, and others like it,
is thin and pale, with
black eyebrows and lashes.
my mouth smiles wide
and white teeth sparkle or
it holds flat like a line.
my face frames
a strong nose
that breathes the air.
dimples in my cheeks
and crinkles around my eyes
betray amusement.
dark circles under eyes
and a vacant expression
show my exhaustion.
I may be good at poker
but my face, most days,
says what I might not.
Copyright ©
2012 Nan P.
We Write Poems prompted us to write a poem about our face. I wrote this quickly this morning because it has been more than a month since I have participated at WWP, and I wanted to be able to say, "I'm back." It may not be my best, but I liked the idea anyway. I may come back to this and add one stanza about the worry line between my brows that I am trying hard to avoid. A shadow of it pops out now and then. Back, back, worry line!
5 comments:
Indeed, so true, that most faces speak reams! More than words, in most cases. If words and faces are in conflict, I believe the face.
there are some real home-truths here, and many I can relate to!
Don't know why, but the parenthetical "and others like it" snagged me. It adds a whole extra layer to the rest of the poem.
So very true, Nan!! This is written so thoughtfully. I enjoyed this glimpse into your face. Thank you!
face facts indeed...nicely done and thanks for sharing
Post a Comment