Wednesday, July 11, 2012

alternate ending


I grocery shop
with my teenage son.
We buy impulsively
to feed his never ending
appetite.

In the aisle with
Spanish soda
and rice and beans
he says, if it were
the apocalypse
I would try to get
here.

I could be stranded
here for a long time
and still be able to eat.

I say, is there any particular
aisle you would want
to be yours?

He says, produce, I suppose,
until it runs out.
And then maybe cookies
and chips.

I think to myself,
only he could make
the end of the world
sound kind of fun. 


Copyright © 2012 Nan P.


We Write Poems asked us to write a "found poem" in a grocery store. Rather than find my poem in words that I read or images that I saw, I found my poem in a conversation I had about the grocery store while there. I realize it is a bit of a twist, and still, found it was. You can read what others did with this prompt at the preceding link. 

7 comments:

irene said...

Love the ending, Nan.

Jules said...

It's been a loooong time since I grocery shopped with anyone. I do remember feeding teenagers. I was lucky to have one of them work at a sandwich shop - kept the grocery bill just a tad lower. I had fun with this too...I got a little 'twisted'...

http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/07/wwp-113-weis-words.html

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Sounds just like a kid. You caught it well.

Mary said...

Nan, this made me smile. I love the conversation between mother and son. I personally think I would choose the ice cream aisle for myself....if it were the end of the world.

Walt Wojtanik said...

Nan, that was a good slant on the prompt. Thinking out of the (cereal) box!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

THIS is very cool! I love the slice of life, love your son's musings. Awesome.

Sara McNulty said...

Love this, Nan, especially the ending.