Wednesday, July 4, 2012

colorado fires lamentation

the now-homeless weep
as nature wreaks its havoc
neighborhoods in flames
security burns to ash
smoke will dissipate slowly

Copyright © 2012 Nan P.




We Write Poems asked us to write a tanka this week. Tanka is a Japanese form, and the rules are: "1.  The poem uses strong images to establish a mood.  2. The poem includes some type of literary device.  3. The poem has five lines, lines 1 and 3 with five syllables, and all others with seven (5-7-5-7-7).  4. The poem can also be five lines, but the syllable count is: 2-3-2-3-3, focusing on the accented syllables.  The subject matter is traditionally about nature, seasons, love or other strong emotions.."

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I really enjoy the sound devices you've used...wreak and weep, the "u," sounds and then your "s and o," sounds, too.

Such a heart wrenching topic also...well written, Nan!

margo said...

I agree with Hannah about the sounds. I find 'havoc' and 'ash' pull at me when I read, because of the vowel rhyme.

We have close friends whose house burned to the ground. I have a photograph of them sitting amongst the rubble, backs to the camera, intensely compelling.

Mary said...

I truly cannot imagine how it must feel to lose absolutely everything to fire....what a tragic situation for so many.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Great tanka on a heartrending topic, Nan. The words flow together with the sibilance of water on flames.

Jules said...

Pulling my heart strings... I saw some news footage of the devastation.
You have accurately capture so much in your tanka. And they do get easier...A form I enjoy so I was able to pen mine quickly. I don't necessarily plan what people find - the words just flow.
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/07/wwp-112-tanka-july-4.html