on a line graph
it was mostly an even
if slightly undulating
wave of joy
and pure grace
from birth until death
with just a few deep divots
in time
when she forgot her true self
and things got heavy and dark
like storms
that passed --
night into day.
Copyright ©
2012 Nan P.
We Write Poems asked us to "put it in stone" this week, and write our own eptitaph in the form of a poem. It was a less daunting task to sum up one's life in the form of a few brief, enduring lines than I thought it might be, because I skipped all the details and decided to focus on gratitude. When I zoom out above all the day to day, year to year details... I am left with a relaxed smile. No matter what I accomplish, whom I serve, whom I love or loves me, I hope that this state of mind is what I will be able to enjoy the rest of my life through. Storms always resolve, and we make peace with the resolution. It reminds me of the great quote: "Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end." (Author unknown -- or debated). It also reminds me of this one too: "And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make." (The Beatles).
5 comments:
That is a wonderful poem and I love how you have seen your like.
To be content as we lived - that is living. I also like the quotes. I think the first one ended up in that movie about elders moving to a retirement community run by a young man in India.
Thanks for your visit and kind words. I am always amazed at where prompts take us.
Oh, nan!! I love the honesty of this and the simile of the line graph!!! Such an apt example to liken life's experiences to.
I love this:
"it was mostly an even
if slightly undulating
wave of joy
and pure grace"
Beautifully written!!
That line graph seems quite personal and yet universal, Nan. Beauty of an epitaph!
Gratitude is good. I like your thought process.
Post a Comment