Wednesday, August 8, 2012

dig

We Write Poems asked us to write a poem that started with a single one-word line, and ended with the same word, allowing the poem to shift the meaning of that word. This was a fun little write. See what others did, here.

dig
deep into the soil
through roots and rocks
all the way to China
in order to dig a ditch
or to lay a foundation
in order to plant a seed
or to pull the potatoes
in order to cultivate earth
or to bury our dead

we walk upright
and look out ahead
but don’t forget the dirt
under fingernails
there even when
we don’t focus on it

stay down to earth
dig?

Copyright © 2012 Nan P.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nan, I dig what you did. Used to be a gardener and I often had aha moments while digging in the soil.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I really like that first stanza in particular. It flows very well.

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

I like how you used the form. You used your words and imagery to effectively convey the meaning of how we really must not forget our connection to the earth. This was also supported by the change in meaning between the first line and the last line (which I enjoyed, BTW). Well done.

irene said...

I dig your earthy poem, Nan. Like the dirt under fingernails bit.

Jules said...

I was a misfit of the 1960's - I dig!
I use gloves though while gardening as some plants don't like me. Cycles, it's all cycles. We need to remember in order to learn how to move forward.
I'm here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/08/wwp-117-strained-elfje-quintet.html

Kelly E said...

Oh, the second stanza is great. First is, too, but "there even when we don't focus on it" speaks volumes -- Yes. Love this, Nan.

Sara McNulty said...

Very cool poem!