but cart wheels really do
turn into car wheels.
you also don’t know
that Socrates said that
wisdom begins in wonder.
therefore my advice is to
not forget who you are now
--
hang onto your sense of delight.
you will change less
than you think you will.
future is an illusion.
every bit of your past
is an illusion too – and
you seem to know the now, now.
no need to keep singing
the songs to aging children come …
aging children, I am one.
Copyright © 2012 Nan P.
We Write Poems asked us to write a poem to our sixteen-year-old self to impart a little wisdom we have learned over the years. I thought back to my sixteen-year-old self -- happy, busy, friendly, smiling, loving life, loving music, and much more extroverted than I am now. I was listening to The Beatles and listening to Mother Mary's words of wisdom, and letting it be. I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Clouds and Blue albums over and over and over again. And so this is the little poem that bubbled up. (In case you don't know my reference to Songs to Aging Children, click here.)
6 comments:
Wow, nice ! It seems you flipped it -- you let your 16-yo give advice to your present self.
I too loved Joni Mitchell more than I could today -- I wish I could feel so deeply now as when I was 16!
Letting children wake us up may be more important than some wisdom we think we have to pass down !
Very good. Thanx
@Sabio, Exactly! Many of us could learn more from our 16 year old selves than vice versa...we felt deeply then and knew more than we thought we knew. Sadly, we thought we had to grow up, dulling and muting much that was real.
Thank you for including the link to the Join Mitchel song. While I was familiar with 'Clouds' and may have heard 'Aging Children Come' I would not have remembered it. I never did get into collecting 45's. I've got a few records but I can't tell you the last time I play one. Or a CD for that matter. I've yet to master listening via the computer while doing other things with this 'modern' technology. One day...
Thanks for your visit. Have a great day.
Thank you for this one. I go back often and listen to the music of my youth and find a great deal of wisdom there. I like how she listened and still does,
Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/
Yes, I am when of these aging children too. I believe Peter Pan had the right idea.
The not changing bit is true...feel the same. But also feel a whole lot changed. Strange but true.
Wise words Nan.
Post a Comment