Monday, December 3, 2012

stone quarry cottage

Tom and I enjoyed a belated anniversary get-away weekend this past weekend (our anniversary is at the end of May) . . . and we didn't go far from home. We did, however, get far enough away from the everyday routine to get some rest, read by the fire, listen to music, sleep in a little, and eat at some of our favorite restaurants. This fall it dawned on us that we hadn't gone away for a weekend in a very long time. It had been years, actually.

With baseball season stretching from April until October each year, vacations planned around our families, and work travel for Tom or for me (separately), time for just the two of us had been long neglected, with the exception of an occasional dinner or concert out. Thanks to my sister for coming and hanging out with our teenager, we were able to venture to a place I found just a half-hour from home.

I would love to share this with anyone who decides to venture to the Ithaca, NY area. The place is called Stone Quarry House, and we stayed in the stone cottage, which is perfect for a fall weekend. Ithaca is full of things to do, with great restaurants and shopping (and wineries). We ended up doing a little shopping, but mostly couldn't tear ourselves away from the cozy cabin with its gorgeous architectural design, beautiful furnishings, and great fire place. I was SO happy to find that it even had a Keurig!



 I am reading an utterly enjoyable book called Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson. We tuned in to WITH 90.1 for most of the weekend. I was able to recall that relaxing feeling of "being alone together," and I don't think Tom even got sick of me saying over and over, "I just love this cabin . . . . I am so happy!" While the cabin looked a little odd from the outside, inside, it was one big square with great stonework, woodwork, and comfortable Stickley furnishings, with even a Tempur-pedic mattress! It had windows all around it, with lovely views and great light. My favorite feature of the cabin was the fireplace.

Clearly thought went into every detail of this cottage. We found the guestbook on a table, and this is what I wrote:


folk music on the radio
crackling beauty in the fireplace
winter light, peaceful dark
companionship of your best friend
a good book, a Keurig
a bathroom door that slams
when you don't remember to
close it ever so softly

it doesn't get better than this.

Thank you, Stone Quarry Cottage.

4 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It looks and sounds delightful. Wise you, to take time for a getaway!

Jean Liv said...

Sounds like a place I could totally enjoy! Who wouldn't?

Nan said...

Well, didn't you have just THE best time. I loved reading about it. Oh, and I really liked Major P.

Paula said...

Found your blog and vicariously enjoyed the cozy Ithaca weekend.