Sunday, May 12, 2013

musing on mother's day

I'm lucky. And grateful. I have had the gift of a great mother in my life, and I was given the gift of motherhood -- the greatest grace of my life.

For about ten years, Mother's Day was tough on me. It was easy to celebrate my own mother and the other great mothers out there, but I resented the fact that women who were not mothers felt like "less" or felt less valued on that day. My own sense of loss during what I now call "the infertility years" was magnified on that day. It was my own experience, and hopefully not universal anyway, but I do still hold strong that all women, all people, should be valued regardless of their identity as parent or not. That said, now experiencing the grace of parenthood myself, it is hard not to fully rejoice in a day that celebrates those connections.

Yesterday we had the pleasure of attending the wedding of my sister-in-law's sister at a lovely winery in the north country. The temps were in the 50s and it was very windy, so plans for the outdoor wedding were moved inside. Still, it was a warm and sunny affair, and it was beautiful! Nearly all of my family was able to attend, minus one sister who had a work commitment. Here are a few snapshots.









3 comments:

Mary said...

What beautiful family!

And yes, I do believe that all women, all men, all humans really, should be valued regardless of whether or not they are a parent/grandparent. But it is also nice to be honored....and also to honor the mother / father / grandmother / grandfather. I don't know how to get around the hurt that some people feel or have felt at one time in their life though. I also am empathetic to people who do not have mothers who have been a positive influence in their lives or mothers whose children are lost to them.

Poets United today is accepting poems in honor of Mother's Day, if by chance you have written one at one time or another.

nan said...

So well said, Mary!! I completely agree with you. Yes, I have a poem written for my mom. I will post it!

Jean Liv said...

I think all women are mothers in one way or another. It's just that nurturing gene that we have and use on those around us. While everyone may not be able or choose to be a biological mother, most, I believe are mothers in action. Happy Mother's day waaaay late!