Thursday, June 27, 2013

mandela's words and deeds live on . . .

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
--Nelson Mandela  


When I logged into Facebook this morning, I saw many reports that former President of South Africa and world icon Nelson Mandela had passed away at the age of 94. My check of CNN.com said that he is on life support -- stable but not improving seems to be the condition.

Whatever his situation is currently, Nelson Mandela's life deserves celebration, and at the age of 94 with all he has seen and done and influenced, if he is close to death, I hope people making decisions can let him go peacefully. My two cents.

It was not until I was in college that I realized how impactful a life outside my general sphere could be. Nelson Mandela's own words illustrate the power of this man better than anything I could say. The following link contains many of his great quotes, worth reading and letting them guide our every day thinking and deeds:  Nelson Mandela Quotes. Thank you, Mr. Mandela, for increasing human dignity and respect in our world. Thank you for tireless efforts, courage, and as Ghandi suggested, for being the change you wanted to see in the world. A life well lived, indeed.

No comments: