Friday, July 12, 2013

leaving

Untitled, (Woman Head on Knee)
Bob Clyatt
Photo source: http://clyattsculpture.com/
Busy at work and a little bit busy at play after work hours - with what I can squeeze in. But mostly busy at work this week, which has eked its way into my evening hours (I am on call). And so I find I have not written here in days.
This morning, I read this poem: HERE, entitled Leaving, by Richard Wilbur. As I was reading along, I was enjoying the rich language and the imagery -- thinking what a nice easy poem it was to read. I got to the end and what had not come clear to me in this "leaving a garden party" metaphor, came down on me in a whoosh. There it was. I got it. I didn't think, "boy I wish I had written that," as I sometimes do. Instead, I wished I could remember this meaning in my daily life. Right now.

So I am off to my day, hoping I will make the right choices in remembering who I am and how to live my time. Why get stuck in certain solid identities. Off to the garden party! These are the best of times.

[Please read the poem. It is worth your time.]

1 comment:

Linda said...

Thanks for posting this poem. He's a poet who manages to use simple words to express some profound truths.

I don't leave comments on your music posts, but often listen to the music. A treat.

Incidentally, I just checked out your Tumblr account and for a few minutes was captivated and mesmerized by the butterfly.