Doris Lessing has passed away at the age of 94. Her life was a life well-lived. Her life added value and meaning to my life through her writing.
I have posted about her before, including my favorite quote, here. (For more related posts, you can do a search of this blog on Doris Lessing -- upper left search box.) I put a couple of other great Lessing quotes over on my Tumblr.
The New York Times reported the news, here. (Including a great video of when Doris won the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature at the age of 90.) "Ms. Lessing was an uninhibited and outspoken novelist who shattered convention, embarking on dizzying and at times stultifying literary experiments."
I think the writing of Doris Lessing will continue to influence me for my entire life.

2 comments:
OMG, I had not heard she had died. I DEVOURED her books when I was a young woman. The Golden Notebook changed my LIFE! I am now going to re-read it (tho I read little fiction any more, now time is short, real life speaks to me more profoundly) - she shaped my emerging identity. She was amazing. She led the way out of darkness into liberation for so many women. Sigh. Thank you for this post. Her-story is beginning to die.
The Golden Notebook was the best recommendation you've given me and she has several quotes along with your favorite that I love:
"Any human anywhere will blossom in a hundred unexpected talents and capacities simply by being given the opportunity to do so."
Post a Comment