Sunday, November 3, 2013

to that, she kneels

trying to find the rhythm
of her own drummer,
it seems someone else is always
clapping precisely on the one and three
expecting her to dance

in odd moments,
driving long distance in the car,
pushing a cart in the grocery store,
invisible, inner whisperings call
the creation of her authentic beat

syncopated impulse,
like palms and fingers tapping on the
tabla and mridangam,
never fists hitting flesh,
emits the infinite energy of grace

Copyright © 2013 Nan P.

[Written for The Sunday Whirl and posted to Poets United. The wordle words were: infinite, hit, invisible, emits, rhythm, impulse, distance, kneel, creation, whisperings, fists, and precise.]

15 comments:

Pea said...

I think you have expressed what many people fee. Thanks.

revelations said...

this really hit home... being a wanderer of sorts...long drives are always filled with thought... great poem

vivinfrance said...

This is very penetrating: some days we feel distinctly out of rhythm, and others we're right on the beat.

Geraldine Helen said...

we can't give up on our uniqueness, or free spirit. you've expressed this so well.

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

Mary said...

Sometimes it is hard to march to someone else's beat, especially when you don't feel that SAME beat yourself.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Your second stanza really resonates with me - I have such thoughts when engaged in the most prosaic tasks.

Brian Miller said...

no, never fists hitting flesh...ugh...but we do all have a beat to be found...a rhythm to life....without it we get so out of balance...esp when we ty to match that of another...

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

Hi Nan, I don't know your work well--but this seems a wonderfully thoughtful piece--and it perhaps asks us all to move inward for a bit.

flaubert said...

Your opening is superb, nan. It is also quite true. Well done.

Pamela

daphnepurpus said...

So true! We must maintain our uniqueness. Well done!

Old Egg said...

There are always people to tell you what you need to do. It seems brave therefore to beat your own drum and relish that exquisite feeling...one of the best feelings in life. Great advice.

ruth said...

I LOVE the tabla - and of course, we must be allowed to find our own beat... very nice poem

Unknown said...

to this, I kneel! Great poem - I seem to be at the grocery store every day so that line made me smile!

S.E.Ingraham said...

I quite agree...most of us spend our lives looking for that authentic inner beat...well done

http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2013/11/because-i-am-acolyte.html

annell4 said...

the last words of the poem are very beautiful! As well as the whole poem.