Sunday, December 1, 2013

border-crossing

thanks to razor-wire fences and gnashing-teeth dogs
not to mention the dealers whose cross-fire kills innocents like me
going from one side of the so-called road to the other
is not such an easy thing

the plight is this – no, not the plight, the crisis is this:
my life and the lives of my children depend
on small square government issued documents
containing words that say we are of this country and not that

hungry people do not crave insight
into political identity
poor, wandering people want more than they have
just as you do

I don’t trounce your rights to tax decreases
I don’t want to wash your restaurant dishes or clean your house
I just crave bread, water, a job
-- some threads of human dignity

born into a desperate life
forces risk-taking that defies logic
and there is no answer to the question,
why?


Copyright © 2013 Nan P.


[Written for The Sunday Whirl and posted at Poets United. After Thanksgiving, a time that is excessive for so many in the U.S., I forced myself to not look away from the images that today's Wordle words suggested: insight, trouncing, forces, border, thanks, crisis, depend, fire, road, plight, word, and issued. I played around with the voice so much with this, I can honestly say it is still a work in progress. First-person? Second or third-person? Not sure which is best to achieve the desired effect...]

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wow. powerful piece...i like the section where you are talking about how all they crave is survival, not to take the trimming that is an oppulent life...there is much truth in that...and so sad that there are those who dont have the necessities while some have so much....

Unknown said...

I think the way you have it written already is pretty powerful!

gila_mon said...

That first line is killer. "my life and the lives of my children depend
on small square government issued documents" Ugh, a depressing truth.

Cheryl said...

Nan, you've wrapped it up bravely. I've been thinking about the wordle words all night. I think it's time to get back to our roots of writing folk songs/protest songs.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Nan, this is a TOTAL WOWZER of a piece! Last night I watched a documentary on the plight of those fleeing North Korea and you have NAILED IT in this poem. GREAT topic and first person works absolutely to perfection.

Gabriella said...

Very strong poem, Nan! I like the human dignity of your persona and the idea that she is also the victim of drug dealers. Those who have very little choice in life are indeed those most at risks

Mary said...

This really shows the plight of so many people, and what is the answer?? And how can we really change the situation for those that struggle so?

flaubert said...

A powerful message in this, nan. The plight continues worldwide.

Pamela

WabiSabi said...

I found the first two stanzas very powerful and think that the first person adds immediacy to the piece. Well done!!

Old Egg said...

To live your life without hassle, to work, breathe, avoid conflict and find peace and love. How selfish is that? Isn't it strange so many of us make it seem so.

humbird said...

Powerful poem, and much in the world still depends from the papers...

hyperCRYPTICal said...

What insightful words of the plight of those we seek to dismiss. How easy it is to pass judgment on that we don't understand.

I just crave bread, water, a job
-- some threads of human dignity.

This is a basic human right.

Anna :o]

Cressida de Nova said...

Very impressive and powerful
Tight,pertinent verse expressed with conviction...Excellent!