Friday, January 31, 2014

it's not fair



I was just thinking about this Complaints Choir video the other day (from Helsinki, Finland), and then my mom sent it to me tonight via email. I guess I was a little bit down and whiny when I spoke to her by phone earlier this evening. I was conscious of how tired and crabby I was feeling about winter (. . . and everything else) the other night when I thought about this video (I posted it on the blog a few years back). I actually thought that it would make a great winter poetry prompt to have people write a complaints choir "poem." There is something about giving voice to these gentle complaints with some humor and some seriousness that expels them. Sure, "it's not fair!" But then you get over it.

Please enjoy this. There are several complaints choir videos out there, but this is definitely the best among them. Oh, and of course you have to read the subtitles unless you know that very complicated language. (You can enjoy an adorable Finnish children's choir doing a cute song, here, and the Toyko Complaints Choir is most excellent, here.)

I'll spare you some of my draft lines for my complaints choir poem, but trust me, I have thought about a few stanzas worth. Have a good weekend -- however you spend it. I hear there's a football game on Sunday evening, but I will probably end up watching Downton Abbey.

No comments: