Thursday, November 6, 2014

rhiannon


For "TBT" (otherwise known as Throw Back Thursday) I have a little something old and a little something new by way of my music-loving cousin Lisa. She and I were pen pals growing up. We are two months apart, and she was growing up outside St. Louis, MO and I was growing up in Central New York. We would see each other in the summers, have sleepovers, declare ourselves the best of friends, and then live apart ... but DNA is strong. In our letters to each other from probably 1975 to 1983 we would talk about favorite books, activities, school, friends and boys, and share with each other our "lists" of favorite songs at the time. It may have been a top 10. I don't remember exactly. We had a lot in common, and I sense we still do.

Anyway, I got this sweet message and a video link from Lisa today via Facebook:
Wanted to make sure you saw this. I remember this song stayed on your list for a very long time.

I am so glad she sent this video of Rhiannon. I don't watch much television and I hadn't seen this Jimmy Fallon Show performance with just piano accompaniment by an older yet still beautiful Stevie Nicks. Rhiannon never sounded so good! The tempo is slowed, the sound is richer and more evocative. This song, and Stevie, have aged well. (She was promoting her recently released new album, 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault. As far as I can see from the track listing, this song does not appear on the album.) [And you will find some trivia on the meanings behind the song title, here, and here.]

I was not able to get the embed code to work on Blogger... oh wonkiness, you can't thwart me. Click this link, take a deep breath, and take in this gorgeousness:



No comments: