Saturday, December 6, 2014

where we start


How I love this mellow, romantic song, Where We Start, by David Gilmour. I know I may have posted this once before. It is worth repeating. If we can approach everything in our lives with this kind of sweetness, with no expectations, we might feel as "slow-mo-beautiful" as this music is. . . pervasively. Nice goal, that living in the moment stuff. I aspire. (Lyrics are here, by the way, but the metaphorical interpretation is on you.)

I have not blogged in awhile. My last post was on Thanksgiving morning, and we have all put many miles down since then no doubt. Following those busy few days I started a new job this past Monday. It has not felt entirely new because I returned to the campus where I had worked for 20 years, so I know many of the people... and so in some ways it has been like that dream some of us have where we realize we have a test in a class and we have forgotten to go all semester. I have just forgotten to go to work there for nearly three and a half years. It is a new position, however, and one I think I will like and am well suited for. I am in a new office and building on the campus, and everyone else is winding down their semester. I, on the other hand, am all charged up to meet with people, dig into projects, and start building and redefining relationships to be able to do good work. The job is "interim," and it will be searched next semester - so I will have to formally apply then. For now, I have jumped into a deep end and am just swimming. I like to swim.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, there are just a few weekends ahead to prepare for the holidays. Window candles are now up, we hope to get a tree today (it is pouring rain), and trimming the tree will be tomorrow if I have any control over these things. I love having a tree in the house (and so do the cats)! I have virtually no shopping done due to the busy-ness of the job transition, so I hope that my evenings and weekends will allow me to chip away in good spirit. I look forward to attending my parents' holiday chorale concert tomorrow with my sister, and the following weekend to travel to see my nieces in The Nutcracker.  Busy, busy, and I need to slow it down.That may mean fewer blog posts. My poetry? It seems to be in "pause" mode.

Oh, and that computer malware that my beloved little notebook got? (Through my own careless error of downloading a phony Skype version -- it isn't like it just happened passively...) It is in there good. I mean bad. And so instead of risking further issue, I broke down and used some gift certificates I had been saving to purchase a new laptop. Now that I need to get rid of the notebook, I am tempted to go all "Office Space" on it. You know the scene? Enjoy it here: http://youtu.be/dLk-3HPS12Q. Love that movie. I am off to the day. Yoga first. I wasn't able to go last week, and I really, really missed it. Good wishes to you.

No comments: