Here are some of the shows I am watching right now, or want to watch. Call me your Netflix host. (Tom isn't crazy about a couple of these, and he has some on his list that he watches that I will not -- so that affects the scheduling of how often we watch these and whether separately or apart.)
- Call the Midwife - one of the realest, most heart-warming shows. Ever. Set in post WWII London, and based on true stories, this show has a bit of everything. The episodes are chronicled in three volumes of memoirs (and I have read only the first, by the same title). Simply outstanding. I love this show. I started this thinking it could be my "alone time" show, but Tom watched it one night and now likes it as much as I do. Go figure.
- Doc Martin - funny, entertaining, charming, and endearing. Set in Cornwall. Give it a try. Tom got sick of it, but I don't tire of it.

- Comedy Bang Bang - odd, quirky, light fun. And it's legal. (But it might remind you of a state of mind by which one would need to engage in illegal behavior -- unless for medical purposes).
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - set in the 1920s, Australia, and absolutely fun. If you like Agatha Christie/Miss Marple/ Hercule Poirot corny murder mysteries, coupled with great costuming and musical score, and witty repartee, this is a show for you. Just when you think a show about murder can't be playful...
- House of Cards - now I know what all the fuss is about. I will watch this one only every now and then and have only seen the first two episodes. It is too dark and creepy feeling for me to watch most nights, but Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey are excellent. It took me a little bit to get over Robin in a role so different from her role in The Princess Bride.
- Lilyhammer - a Norwegian comedy series that is a Netflix exclusive. A NYC gangster goes into witness protection and opts to move to Norway, where he proceeds to bring his behaviors to one of the most non-corrupt places in the world. Very funny.
Still on the list to keep watching: Wilfred, Portlandia, Amy Schumer, TED Talks (so many!), Mozart in the Jungle, Drunk History and more that I am sure I am forgetting. If you are looking for any past recommendations, just search on the blog label "quality television" to read about some other great shows from the past couple of years...
When it comes to movies, there are several we want to see that are finally available on Netflix or Amazon Prime, and if I can just find 2-hour blocks of time during which I can keep my eyes open, I might just watch one.
This was a public service "chasing the winter blahs" blog post brought to you by WJPP.
No comments:
Post a Comment