Thursday, February 19, 2015

the cover up

I wrote this little poem the other day, reflecting on how I sometimes approach life. And that includes this blog. You see, I am a cheerful sort. I don't like to draw attention to those things I would rather not think about, let alone talk about. I can be my own master of distraction. That is why I am so fascinated with Pema Chodron's book, The Places That Scare You. Life changing, if I will let it be so. I have to have a little outpatient surgery the week after next. I am a little scared, actually, though I'll probably be fine. You would never know it if you interacted with how I perform my persona. I am tough, brave, cheerful. I live in Central New York, where on a day with a windchill of -11, if the sun is out, I say it isn't so bad out there today.


the cover up

what I do say
covers up what I don't (say)
pretty much daily

here and there
then and now

if I talk and talk
and talk
enough
I leave no time

to sit with my fears
to think painful thoughts
to remember

losses

© nan, 2015


1 comment:

Jack said...

I'm still reading the book and reading each chapter twice. Its a gem.