Sunday, March 15, 2015

plagues

there are plagues
that come from monkeys.
diseases tear bodies
down
whole towns and villages
decimated

there are plagues
born of belief systems
and brainwashing
powerful minds listen
for the rustling of blasphemy
to quell

what would you choose?
a landscape of physical illness
in which independent
thought lives (sweetly) before it dies
a grim and painful death?
or a dry deck of desert sand
upon which your parched mind
is a kept man…


© nan, 2015


NOTE: It's the Ides of March and all that. Here in CNY it is lightly snowing in a steady hurry. I haven't written a poem in a while. This is for The Sunday Whirl and Poets United. The words to use were:  plague, monkeys, deck, born, dry, whole, keep, sweet, blasphemy, rustling, and tear.

13 comments:

annell4 said...

The choice you suggest, does not offer anything I want. But I love your poem. I have not been too inspired lately, but so glad you wrote something today.

brudberg said...

For sure the plague of bugs has it's suffering, but the plague of mindless men seems in many ways so much worse.

ZQ said...

Cool!
ZQ

scotthastiepoet said...

"your parched mind
is a kept man…"

I like that a lot.. Powerful write Nan With Best Wishes Scott www.scotthastie.com

Sumana Roy said...

now that's a dire situation....words cleverly put...

Mary said...

Whew, you have asked some rough questions, Nan. Certainly need to contemplate them carefully.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Tough choices........but I never did like being a kept person!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Bold and graphic. Hard questions with only tight places to choose from. Very well wordled.

Elizabeth

C.C. said...

This:
"powerful minds listen
for the rustling of blasphemy
to quell" is an important reminder.....I think all too often we just get too lazy to think and start to listen to whatever the loudest voice) (media, politicians, religion) is telling us instead of remaining vigilant for that which we need to quell. Great poem!!

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Nan I didn't realize you also lived in CNY...cold and a couple inches here in Brewerton....a wonderful poem and quite a dilemma....I think I would take my chances with the physical illness.

Kathy Reed said...

Ebola and other virus's or new bacteria are scary, but a lot is fear; as far as politics go, that is scary, too, and now is about more about fear than ever before.

totomai said...

thought provoking. some plagues are bought to the world by humans. sad but true

Jae Rose said...

As the others hint..a tough choice...like being caught between a rock and a hard place..very thoughtful write