What do you do on a Sunday afternoon to avoid worrying about your teenage son who is driving 45 minutes away with two friends to go to a specialty store? You go to see a funny movie in your favorite theater.We saw a film called What We Do in the Shadows with some familiar faces from old favorite Flight of the Conchords... in a horror comedy/ spoof on the vampire genre. Those who know me know that I can't watch even 30 seconds of a real horror movie. I don't enjoy scary movies of any sort and am a real baby about anything suspenseful or violent unless the violence or suspense is real/necessary and there are redeeming values to the film. (Therefore, I have never actually seen a vampire movie or read any vampire novels because - sorry if I am offending anyone - they just seem really stupid).
For some reason, I laugh out loud at the horror comedy genre based on an n of 2 movies (this and Shawn of the Dead.) The writing and acting in this movie are great. Little touches are ridiculously funny. It certainly didn't hurt to have a delicious iced red zinger tea and some freshly popped popcorn (the real kind... not the artificial type usually found at most cinemas). I recommend this movie for a laugh. It is absurd, witty, and has a New Zealand charm. It was a great distraction from another cold, damp, and yes, snowy late March day in CNY. (And all is well when the teenager arrives home safe and sound.)
P.S. In the realm of television, Flight of the Conchords can be found on Amazon Prime... as can Mozart in the Jungle. My new Netflix favorite is The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Great writing and acting on that one. It is just bizarre enough to work. If you liked 30 Rock and Tina Fey, you will enjoy Kimmy.
No comments:
Post a Comment