Sunday, April 26, 2015

recipe for fun

What do you do when late April sees a return of winter temps? Bake a cake! A neighbor made this special Scandinavian Almond Cake and brought it over to us for Easter. She uses a traditional scalloped long tin loaf pan which makes a very pretty cake. I didn't have that type of pan, so I decided to use a Bundt pan instead to achieve the pretty scallops, and just adjusted the baking time. It came out quite nicely.

My neighbor said she doesn't ordinarily share her recipes, and I really don't get why people hang onto their recipes like that. Does our identity depend on how well we can cook or bake? I think it is nice to share! So here goes!

Recipe:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat well:  1 and 1/4 c. sugar, 1 egg, 1 and 1/2 t. almond extract, 2/3 c. milk
Add: 1 and 1/4 c. flour, 1/2 t. baking powder
Add:  1 stick melted butter
Beat mixture well (it will be very thick)

Optional (sliced or slivered almonds) 

Immediately before putting batter in pan, spray pan generously using a cooking spray (ideally cooking spray with flour, but I didn't have that). Add sliced almonds on the bottom of the pan. Smooth batter in pan, bake at 350 for 32-33 min in Bundt pan (or 40-50 min. in loaf pan) until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean)

Flip cake gently onto a plate while still warm. You may have to loosen the cake edges to remove from pan if you didn't use enough cooking spray. Mine slid right out. You can sprinkle with confectioner's sugar if you wish, when cool. I didn't do that.  

(PS I googled this recipe and found that this is very consistently the recipe on many sites. Some of the recipes said to double the recipe and bake in a Bundt pan. That would be a lot more cake and I like that idea. I am not sure what the baking time would be but I am guessing more like 40-50 minutes if doubled. I will try that next time.)

This cake is not too sweet, moist, and yummy. Serve with dry champagne or  bone dry hard cider. Add laughter of friends and it is the recipe for the #goodlife. 

No comments: