Sunday, August 23, 2015

meanderings by the sea

It's a small thing, but I do it every time I take vacation. The watch comes off and doesn't go back on the wrist until it's time. Today, it's time.

How lucky can a person get? We had a trip to Lake George for family reunion and northern NYS college visits at the end of June, I had a jaunt to Vermont and back in July, a week in the Adirondacks with family, and then this past week, the three of us enjoyed a generous accommodation right on the Nantucket Sound on Cape Cod for a few days, thanks to Tom's sister and her husband. I won't complain that it could have been a full week, but due to the teen's golf team schedule, it ended up being just three days plus travel time, because those three beach days were heavenly. I got back in touch with my beach self, and getting in touch with her should hold me for a while.

Tom and Matt went on a fishing charter one day, and went golfing with a friend another day. That gave me some alone time that I really relish.We met up with college friends over ice cream one evening. I imbibed the sounds of the waves, which we could hear from our unit day and night.

Each morning I woke up before the seagulls and I got to watch the many colors of the ocean for as far as the eye could see throughout the day from various vantage points. I didn't get a lot of exercise like in the Adirondacks, but we did manage a few beach walks where I took a gazillion photos. A highlight was going out to a nice dinner one evening with a gift certificate that Tom's sister had given us at Christmas. It was at a really great restaurant that won a "Best of Cape Cod" this year. 

I read a perfect vacation book that has been around since 1990, called Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy. What an enjoyable read full of interesting characters. It isn't every day you get to read something with a character named Nan it is. Unfortunately, it was hard to like Nan in this story. If you've read it, you know what I mean. I guess a movie came out based on the book back in the 90s, but I never saw it. I had heard it wasn't nearly as good as the book, so I put it on my skip list. I might check in out now though just to decide for myself.

So now the vacation time I had saved accruals all year for due to the job change has been taken. I give a Sunday evening presentation to a student athlete group this evening and it's back to work tomorrow.

Today, it was time to put the watch back on. As it slides a little on my wrist, there is no tan line, and I can still hear the sounds of the waves if I try really hard.

1 comment:

rallentanda said...

Thanks for sharing this.Lovely holiday. Do see that movie. It's quite good !