Monday, August 17, 2015

oak stance

the big oak tree
stands
present for all
the happiness of birds
singing
and flitting through branches
woodpecker tapping
chipmunks racing
inch worms booking it
down and up the trunk's bark

she is there in gentle breezes
with sunshine filtering through
rustling leaves
and through tumultuous storms
rain and wind and snow and hail

observing, in equanimity,
when the sharp-shinned hawk
slices through the air and picks
off the robin's nest of eggs
or the beautiful northern flicker
or a baby rabbit

birth and death
celebration and pain
summer, winter
and everything in between

© nan, 2015


I wrote this after thinking about the oak stance I tend to take when things are going well. I am ever conscious that even when celebrating something good, others may be experiencing pain or loss or hardship. It isn't that I don't want to be happy. I do - and I am. I am just trying to remember to keep things in oak stance and remember equanimity as often as possible.

Back in December, I mentioned that I returned to my former campus for an interim position. I knew the position would eventually be searched, and it was earlier this summer. The process of the search can take at minimum a couple of months. I formally applied at the end of June, and then at the end of July had a phone interview. I went on vacation not knowing if or when I would get the in-person campus interview (although I felt that I would since the past eight months have gone very well and I have worked very hard to show the powers that be that this was a very good mutual fit).

Three days into vacation, I got an email (I had told them I wouldn't have much cell service) asking me to have a formal campus interview on the day I was due back in the office - last Monday. I said yes, and found it interesting that I had no time to buy a new suit (or anything new to wear) or even really prepare. (Certainly though, actually serving the position as long as I have and a thoughtful job application process did prepare me...) I had not brought my materials with me on vacation. I went in a week ago today and did a decent job of the day-long interview. The other finalist came in the following day. By Friday afternoon, I had a verbal offer. It is time to celebrate! (And I did... both Friday and Saturday nights!) I am off today, a planned vacation day, contemplating how much changed in just one week.

Things can change in an instant. Sometimes for good and sometimes for bad. During this celebration, I am conscious of some very challenging times that some people I love are going through. I won't let it take away my joy, but I am keeping joy in appropriate check. Equanimity, please. I'd like to keep this oak stance going, thanks.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Great post. Congratulations, of course, but nice exploration of the dilemma of celebration a midst the struggles of life. The inspiration is right in your back yard too!