Sunday, October 4, 2015

nexus

one maple tree
with its straight trunk
branches outstretched
flush with greens and reds, haloing round
calls autumn to order
swearing in the hundreds of leaves
some blowing around in the wind
some assembled below

I feel threats of winter come
pressing in to share its chill
onto the surface of my tender face
infiltrating fingers and toes
I list to the left, with gradual freezing
I whimper
to no one
who can hear me


© nan, 2015


[Written for The Sunday Whirl and posted over at Poets United.]

19 comments:

X said...

oh let's not talk winter yet.
it is coining though

love The picture I get of the tree as the orchestra director

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I feel threats of winter come
pressing in to share its chill

Though winter may be around the corner, let us hold on to hope as it shines like the rays of the sun :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

This poem describes my feelings during cold autumn days--it might not be winter yet, but the chill that shifts us (much to brusquely) from summer is a frigid announcer of the ice to come.

Mary said...

Oh, it is sad to whisper to no one who can hear you...gives me a kind of lonely feeling. (Sort of like winter! Sigh)

brudberg said...

I think it's not quite time for winter yet.. actually we have to pass through the dread of November first..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Lovely fall golden sunshine here....thankfully. The grey will hit soon enough. I felt the chilly temp in your poem though.

scotthastiepoet said...

You conjure some nice pathos here, Nan - enjoyed this piece, especially as it drew to it's conclusion... With Best Wishes Scott www.scotthastie.com

Susan said...

"calls autumn to order
swearing in the hundreds of leaves"
almost says "ahem"
Listen to its song! Perhaps it will warm your cheeks and keep your mind off winter.

Anonymous said...

You say that no one hears, but I think the wind listens and even tries to speak to us at times. Thanks for your visit and your wonderful comment,

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/the-gap-between-belief-and-experience/

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Really loved the image of the maple called autumn to order but winter is inserting himself and he is not welcome yet here either.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv your imaging of nature in this poem. Lots of animation contained

Have a good Sunday

Much love...

ZQ said...

great colors and thanks for the warning hehe:-)
ZQ

J.N.T. said...

winter and fall do come dressed in fascinating colors. agreed.

tonispencer said...

Very nice with the maple as conductor. Somehow I think having no one to listen is colder than winter. I must be crazy. I love autumn and winter! Spencer is Kanzensakura.

Sumana Roy said...

autumn humming its tune & winter listening, getting ready for its turn...beautiful...

Jae Rose said...

Like a tree falling silently in a forest - and yet here...there are people who hear....

Gen Giggles said...

You caught part of Autumn's spell.

Myrna R. said...

Nice. I really felt autumn in your words and I'm grateful for that. Here, in Southern New Mexico we're still living the remains of summer, and even Spring because it's been raining incessantly. Our seasons follow no rules.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love the idea of that maple tree calling autumn to order!