Sunday, November 22, 2015

abyss

I walk along its edge
alone
look down and do not wobble
nothing affects my balance

the secret is remembering
that even if I fall
beyond the flesh
is the holy and the hidden

nonetheless I drift further
from the possibility
pretend to exert control
over accident’s tide

fears drift
they pass --
a fine mist
in light wind

breath
tames
mind


© nan, 2015

[Note: Just putting some words together from The Sunday Whirl for some morning fun. Posting there and at the Pantry. The words: mist, fall, abyss, flesh, light, secret, holy, hidden, tide, pass, drift, and tames. I like this kind of stream of consciousness stuff . . . reminds me of one of my favorite Beatles tunes. Can you guess which one? Nothing's gonna change my world. (Or so I'd like to think.)]

17 comments:

Jae Rose said...

I can't think of the tune but this poem certainly sings..skirting the edge of an abyss is no mean feat and should be applauded and admired

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Powerful write :D :D

Mary said...

Even if one falls, there is 'something,' and that is a comfort at those moments. And when we are most afraid, remembering just to 'breathe' can do a lot to calm us indeed.

Anonymous said...

breathe, always breathe
watch those thoughts and let them go
balance balance balance

thanks for the poem

Randy

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

What a haunting song...we get so close to edge sometimes and gaze into that abyss...but your powerful ending words are what bring us back...fabulous poem!

brudberg said...

The comfort in being there, balancing so close to the abyss, that even if you fall there is a future also in the fall... Works so well as an extensded metaphor.

Anonymous said...

lovely.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

One drifts down the page dreamily.....a really lovely poem!

Anonymous said...

"beyond the flesh
is the holy and the hidden" absolutely and so beautifully put. This week we seem to be on the same track with our poems

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You create both poetry and meaning from the random words.

Anonymous said...

Your ending reminded me of another song: 2AM "Just Breathe..." one of my favorites. And so very true. Taking time to breathe in slowly and blowing it softly out can change the way we see things and can give us the calm needed to continue,

Elizabeth

Old Egg said...

If only fears would pass away as a fine mist in a light wind. Beautifully expressed.

dsnake1 said...

a very good take on the prompt words.
so that's how to walk away from the abyss : "breath tames mind"
liked your profile picture. mahjong tiles! i used to play that in the past. :)

Misky said...

Very well done. This feels like a journey that you've taken.

Susan said...

I think balance comes easier when it is not dwelled upon--breath and mindfulness being core.

✿ said...

I love this. And I completely agree; part of our minds' immense power is being able to control itself.

Bastet's Waka Library said...

Wow ... like what you do when you "just put some words together"! Fine glue job here ;-) Bastet