Sunday, December 13, 2015

waltzing flowers

Yesterday evening I drove to my home town, picking up a sister along the way, to watch two of my nieces dance in the annual Nutcracker. The dance school in my hometown does a wonderful job with this annual production, and watching my older niece each year progress through the new parts and dances is exciting. She has gone from a little bon bon, sprite, candy cane, etc. to now the roles for the older
dancers... flower, snowflake, Spanish or Chinese principal dancer, Clara's friend and Clara's cousin. This year she got her own "bow" and was presented with a bouquet at the end of the show. She did a beautiful job and I can't help but glow with happiness to see her joyfully dance so well. My other niece was adorable too... a candy cane and small Chinese dancer.

One of my earliest memories as a child was waking up in the middle of the night on Christmas and finding a very special gift under the tree. I had asked for this large ballerina doll that spun like a top when you rotated a dial under lace on the top of the doll's head. What I found instead was a smaller, finer ballerina doll, dressed in a light blue tutu (instead of the pink on the larger, chunkier doll), and with it, a 45-rpm record and small portable record player. The record had Tchaikovsky's The Waltz of the Flowers on side A and The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy on side B from The Nutcracker Suite. My parents and sister were asleep (the others not born yet) and I actually quietly put the record on the player, listened to both songs, and played with the doll, before quietly putting it all back and going back to bed (dreamily happy). I woke up and pretended to be surprised and delighted. I can't believe a five-year-old child could pull that off, but that is how I remember it. My mother says now she can't believe she didn't wake up. I do know I put that volume on less than 1 on the dial. Quiet as a mouse I probably was. Last night's Waltz of the Flowers reminded me of this memory, because the principal was in the same baby blue costume and the music was really beautiful. There was my niece as one of those waltzing flowers. It was special.

Anyway, I have a real affinity for the music of The Nutcracker. I enjoy watching the dancing each year. I did some dancing when I was younger from the time I was maybe 7 until I was about 13 before I quit to pursue other interests. I enjoyed recitals, costumes, makeup and dancing with point shoes. I think that dancing was very helpful for my brain and body during those developing years. It was worth the late night's drive back home last night to have seen the show - not only to support family members, but also for the boost it gives my right brain.

After two very late nights in a row, I am feeling tired today. (I worked the midnight breakfast on campus until 2 a.m. on Friday night then did a full day of errands and shopping yesterday before heading to The Nutcracker.) Thankfully, I don't have a lot on the agenda. I will cook a crock pot full of party food for a work party tomorrow and maybe do some wrapping. Mostly I need to try to relax today for the week ahead. I will travel tomorrow night after work for a work training out of town Tuesday. Holiday baking is on the schedule for Wed. night to drop off for a fundraiser on Thursday, and hopefully some revelry next weekend. I have a huge report due by year's end that I hope to have finished so I can take planned vacation the week between Christmas and New Year's. Time will tell on that... hoping the work days I get in the office this week will be productive and allow me to get that done.

Sorry for the rambling post. This happens when I am punchy tired. Off to more coffee, and I think, more blogging later... as it is so nice to blog on the lap top in front of the pretty tree.

No comments: