Heavenly widened roses
seem to whisper to me when you smile
I am listening to my late 1980s / early 90s music this week. Before the child was born, I bought tons and tons of CDs. It has been fun to revisit them as I dig through what I call "the closed stacks." I had this great idea around 1995 to buy three-ring CD-holding binders to put all my CDs into. Each binder holds about 100 CDs and literature, sans hard plastic cases. And so they are in alpha order in about 6 large binders.
Now, I don't have 600 CDs from the 80s and 90s. I have quite a few, but during that time I re-purchased CDs that I had previously had in cassette or album form - so the eras span going back to the 1970s and earlier. I have a classical section, a jazz section, a meditation section, a blues section, a Christmas section, and then the rest is rock, alternative, new age and pop, etc. With the closed stacks, just like at a big library, I have to know what I am after to go find the music - or I have to be feeling "random" to flip through the pages to see what grabs my interest.
CDs purchased after 1995 are in the "open stacks" (unless I had extra spaces saved in the closed stacks for say, Joni or U2 or REM or Pink Floyd). Yes, the open stacks are also in alpha order except for one growing pile of recent plays. They are on shelves that I can scan. I have to admit, closed stacks were a mistake, even if they will be easier to move someday. I am much more likely to scan the open stacks. Just like when I used to go to a library for pleasure vs. for research. Open stacks are much better for pleasure searching.
Anyway, I digress. I specifically went looking in the closed stacks today for The Trinity Session CD by Cowboy Junkies. Why did I seek that out? Because Cowboy Junkies are coming to our area in February, and I got tickets! I can't wait. Here is a tune off that album. Enjoy the smoky goodness. WJPP signing out!
No comments:
Post a Comment