Friday, April 29, 2016

vying for a record

Hello there. With just one more day to go in April, I realize I have been an unusually lazy blogger (for me) this month! I have been known to quote T.S. Elliot's The Wasteland this time of year, especially working in higher education: "April is the cruellest month." Of course Elliott was referring to something other than what we might be complaining about (the mostly wintery weather when everyone else seems to get spring - but a few days where we can taste spring - and the fact that it is really, really busy with student issues and events).
The New Yorker

I have been blogging here since December 2006. It started out slowly as a temporary project, but I quickly got the hang of it and generally speaking, when zooming through the archive list, I can see that my monthly post count is generally anywhere from 15 to 25 posts per month (with a couple of months where the posts count was in the 50s because I participated in an online poem-a-day for the month). My lowest post count of 8 posts in a month goes back to June 2007. With this morning's post, I am tying that low. That is a record of sorts. Maybe I will blog tomorrow and dig out.

I had all good intentions of spending some writing time earlier this week when Tom and Matt jaunted off to Florida to visit friends during the school spring break. I pretty much had Saturday through Wed. to myself and managed to occupy the time elsewhere . . . having my parents for a visit Sunday, cooking and baking, practicing my band music for an upcoming concert, binge-watching Doc Martin's last series on Acorn, and starting in on Grantchester, a fast new Amazon Prime "friend." While the boys enjoyed warm temperatures and sunshine, I have been here at home enjoying gray skies, temps in the 30s and 40s, and even one really soggy and rainy day. Work is work - no complaints. 

Anyway, off to the day. This post was mainly about getting the count for April up to 8 measly posts. It's not a new low, after all. 

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Nan,
April also means catching up with people--
New England can't make up her mind about the weather so I'm always either delighted with the day or hoping that spring will truly arrive.

I back pedaled on your blog and listened to some music, commiserated with you when you had the flu-- which sounded miserable. It's amazing how time can disappear and you find that all the things you had hoped to accomplish still remain as to do items.

Last week we had family here-- fourteen for dinner. And there was my daughter Elyse looking fit, back to running.

I'm still writing every day-- poetry, commentary, short prose pieces. Occasionally I simply want to write --I have nothing to say today.

Take care-- Shalom,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Nan, I don't appreciate your blogging just for the sake of blogging. I have read through this post just to find a feeling of emptiness at the end. I don't think I will visit here again.

Your Pal, and former Valentine's Day King